Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Week 8, Thing 19

I looked at the Family History Wiki Project - Example Family. I like the whole idea of this particular Wiki. I got interested in Family History when my mother died, and I realized that I didn't know much about our families, and she left very little in the way of information. I started compiling the information I had, but that was when I had only one grandchild, and now I have 7, so it has sort of gone by the wayside. I see this application as a way to get back to searching our my roots via the Internet and rather than supplying info by letters and phone calls, I can solicit help via the Wiki. I might just get inspired.

The project started with the author using wikispaces which is a free space (up to a limit in the amount of storage space) If I fill up that space, I can then consider if I want to "buy" a larger space for a monthly fee. Wikispaces adds advertising to its free spaces, so I may not like that in the long run. However, It was very easy to set up 2 spaces (one for each of my parents' ancestors)and to edit the pages. Of course I haven't added much real content yet, but I did take the video tours, and I don't think this will be difficult to use at all.

No comments: