Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Week 8, Thing 18

After a marvelous suggestion from a colleague, I am creating this document so that I can upload (or is it download) it to my blog.  After getting it here, I discovered that the operative word is Publish.
I am very excited by the possibilities of using google docs for collaboration.  I have often served on committees where everyone needed to have a way to share their information.  How perfect would it be to use the web-based applications?  Each person could contribute their part of the information to be shared, rather than have one person compile the information from all the different members.  What a timesaver that could be. It's a very cool idea.  I like also that you can set up who has access to the file, that it saves the older version and that it is all in one place.  (it's easy to get confused when you have multiple versions of documents all over the place) This is surely an idea whose time has come. You can also set it up as an RSS feed to notify others when changes are made to the document.   I noticed also that it has a continuous save feature for those of us who forget to save until we have finished a document. 

 

The other, very beneficial, side to these web-based apps. is that you don't have to buy the software!  Count me in!

 

No comments: