Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Week 6, Thing 15 Library 2.0

Library 2.0 is a broad concept to think aobut. Lately, with the concentration on the 23 things, I was slipping into the notion that 2.0 is all about NEW, TECHNOLOGY, VIRTUAL. It is about that, but it's more a focus on user-centered services, collaboration, and communication. How we discover what our users want is still a difficult proposition, even with the ability for some of them to tell us online.

In spite of the notion that Storey mentions (that we are all always connected online), libraries still have the same old problem of access. Not everyone has it!

Even when people do have access, I often think that libraries in general have missed the boat that sailed with Google. I fear that we are putting our time and energy into something for which we are already too late. It seems as if we are always trying to play catch-up instead of being truly innovative. It's easy to appear critical and I certainly don't intend that, particularly since I don't have any solutions to contribute. I just have many years of observing.

I really think that innovation might come from folks like Michael Stephens, who, at least, seems to recognize some of the needed qualities to be a 2.0 Librarian. I particularly liked his notion of keeping technolust curbed, and ensuring that any given technology will actually enhance services and delivery.

No comments: